Sunday, April 10, 2011

If I had a dollar for every time...

Do you every feel like you repeat yourself ALL DAY LONG? We're teachers so of course we do.  Have you ever heard your students "playing teacher"?  This is when they pretend they're you and they tell their other friends what to do...you guessed it...saying all the things YOU say to them all day long.  Thankfully, I approve of all that I have heard repeated :)  

I'm using this post to share with you some of my favorite phrases that get the job done!  What are some of yours?

When students forget to raise their hand I say "When I raise my hand..." and they finish with "I show respect"

When I hear students saying not so nice things I say "If you don’t have anything nice to say..." and they finish with "don't say anything at all."  This is of course thanks to Thumper from the movie Bambi ~ I show them a clip from the movie when I teach this.

I teach my students to be "problem solvers".  So, when they come up to me over and over throughout the day with simple problems about pencils, tissues, paper etc...I look at them and say "Be a problem solver!”  I also do a lesson when I teach this where we make a chart of common problems and simple solutions that go with them.  

If only I had a dollar for every time I have said this! I would go to the Dollar Tree ~ LOL~ or maybe TPT!!!!

2 comments:

  1. Okay I think this post was directed at me! I am a kinder teacher and I hear them using my voice and my intonation... so embarassing. I am know for saying such ridiculous things as "Make a better choice." "Solve your own problem." Wait it gets worse... "Use your walking feet please."
    I could go on forever! I loved this post! So funny!
    Fran@kindergartencrayons.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post! I am going to have to use these next year! I feel like we (the teacher) make them so dependent upon us. This helps remind them that they have the power to fix their problems. Thanks for posting!

    Amanda
    Third Grade Experience

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs