Friday, June 22, 2012

Friday Friends - Sharing Kindergarten

Hi all! This is Mary from Sharing Kindergarten
I am a little blogger from the wonderful land of Kindergarten- we magical ideas grow!
I have taught for 7 years and I have loved every minute of it. I am much more comfortable in my classroom than almost any other place.I am blessed because being the best teacher I can be is my hobby, passion, and never ending goal. I am so happy to be doing a guest blog spot here for you today. I hope you take a moment to stop by to say HI and to grab my freebie that goes with this idea.

Today I am going to share with you a fun way I teach and review patterns in my classroom while reusing some of those fun borders that I have left over.
  You need 3 things to do this.
1. A pocket chart
2. Old borders that are straight and thick.
3. Shape pieces*

 *You can buy the shapes. Mine are from Trend. You could also use a die cut at school or take advantage of the freebie I am providing for you.

Flip the border over so you can not see the design. Create a pattern starter on it using your shapes. I like to start with AB, AAB, ABB, and ABC patterns. (You can also use the same idea to practice extending patterns or creating patterns on their own. For these steps, I would use a marker to draw a line as a "blank" or add a place to put a shape so your students would know where to fill in a shape.)
Leave extra shapes at the bottom for student use. I like to laminate everything so it lasts longer and I can write on the patterns if needed.

I teach one pattern a day for 5 days using these strips. I introduce each pattern and allow my students to complete the pattern using the shapes at the bottom. At center time, students can come up to this pocket chart to create their patterns as well. 


 

Mary Amoson is a teacher, mother, and an educational blogger. She believes that learning should be fun and natural, and is most often playing games with her students as they discover learning. She is so passionate about her dream job in education and her incredible students and families that she wants to share it all with you.  Visit her at http://sharingkindergarten.com/ or at her Teachers Pay Teachers site at http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Sharing-Kindergarten/ where she has SO MANY free activities ready for you to download and enjoy.
Mary Amoson, Sharing Kindergarten http://sharingkindergarten.com/ http://www.facebook.com/SharingKindergarten

2 comments:

  1. This is so great-thank you for sharing!
    Jennifer
    kindertrips

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! This will be a lot of fun for our patterns unit! :)

    Lisa
    Learning Is Something to Treasure

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs