Saturday, July 28, 2012

Crayon Storage {Organization}

I was having a conversation with someone the other day about classroom supplies and I realized that sometimes I forget to share the little things that I'm used to doing.  How I store my crayons is one of those things! 

A few years back another teacher and I began an unhealthy hunt for crayon storage containers and the perfect table basket.  This is when I discovered that a 24 pack of crayons fits perfectly into a 9oz Glad container! Who knew right? I'm sure that they carry these little gems other places, but I have only been able to find them at Target near me. 

I have used them for years now and one container per child will last ALL year.  I have only had one child take their scissors and stab holes in the container. Even then, the sides still held up and the lid held its ground.
At the beginning of the year I ask for parents to send at least 4 packs of Crayola crayons and we change them out at least once a quarter.  On the top of each container I place a small mailing label with the student name so we can keep track of who each box belongs to. 

Follow the pictures to see how it works. Feel free to PIN them if you want to remember this handy trick!


Don't  you just love the smell of new crayons?

There they are! All lined up and ready for the little ones. 



I also wanted to tell you that I have posted my Word Study Unit {A Guide for All Year} Dolch using the Dolch word list in order of frequency.  Head on over and grab this unit and I promise it will save you some time this school year!


If you want the Fry list instead, click HERE




8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip! I may have to try this!
    Liz
    Come check out my new blog Teaching in the Valley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great idea! Thanks for sharing. Isn't it funny how we take the little things for granted and don't realize that other people might not be doing that?

    Sara :)
    Smiling In Second Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I hate how they can't put the crayons back in the box. What are the baskets you use fro the tables?
    Tricks of the Trade
    http://tricksoftheteachingtrade.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great idea - no more smooshed boxes! I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Smart tip! I always use cups for the beginning of the year and then after Christmas they "graduate" to their pencil tubs... love this though!!
    Nicole
    Rowdy in Room 300

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooh, I like those a lot! Do you have them keep them in their desks? Do they have a crayon box, too or just those? Looks like I might need to update my supply list!!

    Brenda
    You Might Be a First Grader...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this idea! Thanks for sharing!

    Heather

    http://thepolkadotplace.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know it's been a while, but I am linking to your site in my next weeks post! Check it out on July 3rd!
    http://splishsplashmslander.blogspot.com/2014/06/guided-math-chapter-6.html

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs