Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Picklicious


I just posted my newest unit ~ Picklicious!
This could possibly be my favorite unit ever! I have thought of teaching with pickles before but I was never quite able to pull it all together.  Any chance I get to teach with food I'm all over it. You see I love love love to eat pickles.  They are pretty much a staple in my refrigerator.  One time I even read about a diet that required you to eat one pickle before every meal in order to lose weight....Don't believe everything you read right??? So I was browsing the children's section at the bookstore and I stumbled upon this book:

NOTE: You do not need the books to use everything in this unit.

This is an adorable story about a boy who loves pickles.  His mom tells him to stop eating so many pickles because he's going to smell like vinegar.  He tells her he'll smell "picklicious". His dad tells him that he's going to turn into a pickle.  He laughs and tells him "They'll call me PICKLICIOUS!" The ending to the book is super cute too. I won't spoil it for you but I was laughing out loud as I read it.  I think the boys in my class are really going to think it's great. 

Then, I found this book that is equally adorable...
   and my "Picklicious" unit was born.

My favorite part is that I was able to include some poetry in the unit.  Don't tell my students but I really don't like poetry.  I'm just not a huge fan.  When I don't love a subject, it's hard for me to get excited about it - the children can of course sense my weakness.  So, I'm proud to say I am excited to teach poetry using pickles!!!   
This 78 page unit includes a little bit of everything.  For a full description, head over to my store to check it out.  Don't forget to grab your free pickle graphing while you're there. Click the picture below to head that way. 


The first person to purchase the unit and leave feedback in my TPT store with the keyword "PICKLICIOUS" will get to choose any other item from my store FREE. BOGO!!!
(leave your e-mail address so I can find  out  what you want).

8 comments:

  1. Oh I want it

    pocketofkinders@gmail.com

    Ms. Patterson

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son wanted the Lays Dill Pickle chips the other day because a friend had them at lunch and he liked them....I forgot how yummy they are!!!
    Staci

    Going Nutty!

    misssquirrels@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does anyone else crave a pickle right now?! This unit is adorable!
    Lori (luvyorkies@gmail.com)
    Teaching With Love and Laughter

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is extremely clever and out-of-the-box - I love it!!! :)

    Second Grade Sugar and Spice

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so cute!!

    I am a new follower.

    Krista
    stellar-students

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG- too cute!
    We had an entire conversation at lunch about our love of pickles! It's a southern thing for sure!
    Rowdy in First Grade

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you go to pbskids.org? Some of it is silly play stuff, but The Between the Lions section is GREAT!! It has storybook section my kids love. Stop that Pickle is one of the stories. They listen to it over and over! Our cafe used to sell pickles at the snack bar and my kids would SAVE them in their pocket! eww

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs