Wednesday, April 18, 2012

End of the Year Parent Letter


Today a student left my room and moved to another school.  I will miss him and it has me reflecting…

I don’t remember learning to write my name or when the jumbled up words on a page turned into stories.  I’m not sure if I struggled in school and I don’t remember that much about it.   I didn’t always know that I wanted to be a teacher.  In fact, I know that I didn’t. 

I wish now that I could recall these memories of where my learning began but they just aren’t there.  What I do remember are the faces and voices of the teachers that made a difference.  I can hear my kindergarten teacher’s voice and see her smile.  I remember my first grade teacher and a field trip we went on to a swimming pool.  She played in the water with us.  I remember my third grade teacher used to give me Triscuits and let me read under her desk.
 
I have no doubt that the memories I do have from elementary school, combined through the years, make me the teacher I am today. 

It is because of this, I am always wondering what memories my students will take away from my classroom.  There is no doubt that academics are important but we all know there’s more to it than that.  I wonder if they will remember that I filled the room with 100 balloons for the 100th day, that I let them throw water balloons at me or that I can’t carry a tune in a bucket but I sing anyway…

It is my hope, that one day they will look back on first grade and remember me.  They may not remember that I taught them to read (which is no small task) but it is my hope that they remember how I made them feel.  Maybe, one day they will stumble upon my end of the year letter to their parents and just for a minute, they will remember…

Grab your freebie by clicking any picture below.  




25 comments:

  1. Well put. No doubt they'll remember.
    ❀ Tammy
    Forever in First

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a child move today too. :( It was a sad day. I had a few kiddos crying off and on all day. Not only was the child amazing, but the parents were too! And I'm looping with my kiddos so I won't have the privilege of teaching her next year either.

    Love the letter. Thank you!

    Amy
    Krazy About Kiddos

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great letter! Thanks for sharing! ~Heidi V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm such a sap. This made me cry. My class this year has been amazing. I am dreading the day I have to let them go. Thanks, I will definitely be using this. Beautiful! :)

    Casey
    Second Grade Math Maniac Blog

    ReplyDelete
  5. Randi - I agree wholeheartedly. Well said. As a parent, I would appreciate this letter from an amazing teacher!

    ~Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely idea :)
    Brooke
    teachmoment.blogspot.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this letter!! I will be sending it out in 19 days. :) Not that I am counting.:)
    Barbara
    happyteachingfirst.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw - those are cute letters!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the cute letter. I also have a letter, I write to my former students, when they leave as 5th graders for the middle school.

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this. I've been around long enough that I am now teaching former student's children. What a wonderful privelege. I can't wait to send this home with them. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm featuring this post on Bagels and Blogs tomorrow!

    Donna
    http://www.teacherspayteachers.com/Store/Math-Coachs-Corner
    http://mathcoachscorner.blogspot.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/MathCoachsCorner

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this Randi! Thank you so much! I have a poem I send out that says many of the same things. =)

    I know you are a teacher that is touching many, many hearts. =)


    Heather
    Heather's Heart

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful letter. Very well put.

    We found your blog from Donna's Bagels and Blogs! We're your newest followers :)

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this letter! I remember seeing it in a magazine my 1st year of teaching and thinking what sweet words in contained and thinking I should copy and send it home....but I never did. I think this year would be a great year to do that. Thank you for the download!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I heart your letters! Thank you for sharing! P.S. I am a newbie blogger and I just became your newest follower!

    Sylvia
    I Heart My Kinder Kids

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is a beautiful letter... also be aware that this letter has been around for many years, I used it long ago so be careful about signing YOUR name to it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a beautiful letter! Wondering why anonymous is saying that-- aren't we all supposed to share as teachers? I LOVE it & intend to use it- thank you for posting it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. It is a beautiful letter and it wouldn't take a moment for any teacher to add a little something from their class to personalize it and sign their name.

    Thank You!
    Connie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have used this letter for the last 5 years. At the end I add a P.S. and add a little personal note about the student. Sometimes it's something they have shared, accomplished, or how they touched me.

      Delete
  19. This letter was shared with me by my student teaching mentor teacher in 1992--it has been around for a while, but I still use it every year.

    ReplyDelete
  20. There is a grammatical error at the end of paragraph one. It should read, ...and more mature THAN she was then.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fantastic beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs