Saturday, October 20, 2012

Fall in Room 4

There are so many fun things going on in my classroom it's hard to keep up! I have some low babies with an attention span of their age.....6 and 7.  This means we change gears about every 6 minutes.  Whether it be standing up to have a brain break or just moving from our tables to the carpet to learn, we keep it moving.  This post is to show you some of the fun things we've been doing before too much time passes us by. 

My favorite part about getting to know and love a new class is seeing how all these little personalities mesh together.  As odd as it may sound, some classes have strengths that other classes do not.  For example, last year's class had the best sense of humor.  However, they were not very artistic.  No matter what craft activity I gave them, or how much scaffolding I provided for the craft, the outcome was unpredictable.  I had missing arms, upside down heads, and weird creepy faces all of the time!  I even showed my teammates the Valentine people we made to see if I was making it worse than it was.  There was a consensus that my Valentine people were creepy looking and not to be hung on the bulletin board in the hallway.  Another year, I had a class who wanted to sing to learn all day.  We had a song for everything. It was beautiful.  The year after that, I would sing and play music and the kiddos stared at me like I had 3 heads.  What I've learned it comes down to, is finding out what works for each group, and meeting them where they are.    
I'm excited to announce that this year's class loves craft activities and music as much as I do and they're great at both!  Here is some of our artwork. Enjoy!

We used Q-Tips to paint fall trees and then we wrote about them. 

I turned this apple craftivity into a math assessment.  We used a Circle Map to show the number 3 different ways.
No worries about the tally marks being ALL over the place.  I can proudly say that we've re-visited that skill 11,000 more times - and most of us have it. 


We celebrated Christopher Columbus with this adorable activity from A Cupcake for the Teacher.  I'm going to have to admit she's my new favorite when it comes to craftivities.  They are always adorable and easy to prepare.  Teri makes my life soooo much easier. 



We made bats with our hand prints to display skip counting by 10's in our room.  I added Google eyes to make them more fun, because let's be honest, Google eyes make everything more fun!

That's your glimpse into my little corner of the world for today.  I hope you're enjoying your weekend.  If you happen to be busy working on assessments, check out my FREE assessment binder post HERE.  

For those of you waiting, I have posted my Daily Sentence Editing for November! You can click HERE to be taken to my store.  




2 comments:

  1. Love that you were able to use my apple craft! I like how you adapted it for your students' needs!

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs