Sunday, February 26, 2012

What I'm Reading and a Little Writing


 This sweet little book is absolutely perfect for introducing the purpose of a comma.  The entire book only has 5 words. The words are rearranged with and without commas to show their purpose.  The book is simple, yet I think it could be entertaining and useful across the ages.

The orange doesn't show up very well in this picture, but it is an orange bear. 



This pictures show the words separated by a comma.

The Neat Line - Scribbling Through Mother Goose

This is one of my all time favorite books.  It could be because it’s related to Mother Goose nursery rhymes and I have soft spot for those.

Don’t be fooled though, there is an entirely different meaning to this book. There are 2 story lines going on, one having to do with popular nursery rhymes and the other having to do with the life of the “neat line”.  This line starts out as nothing on the first page and progresses through the story. 

The line is on every page and it turns and shapes itself into useful/helpful things. Each nursery rhyme gives new purpose and shape to the line.  It’s a supercute book that sparks children’s imagination.  

I used it as an introduction a writing lesson.  I gave my students a piece of yarn to glue to their writing paper. They were allowed to turn their yarn into anything that they wanted and then write about it. They LOVED this activity.  We had snakes, princesses, trees and starfish families. It was so much fun to do and they were so engaged! 


Now for an adult book...
I recently read this book (I read all of his books)  and I was pleasantly surprised by this one. The story line was different for him and it was not predictable like some of his can be. If you like Nicholas Sparks or love stories you will enjoy this one. 
I would love to know what you're reading right now...in class and out!


  P.S. - I have sent invites to everyone who expressed interest in the NC Blog Meet Up.  If you are interested, please make sure to e-mail me at teachitwithclass@gmail.com

11 comments:

  1. Love the yarn idea!! Cute cute!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great books! Love the illustrations and the string idea!!
    Jennifer

    First Grade Blue SKies

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like fun. Looking for the book now!

    Laurie
    Chickadee Jubilee

    ReplyDelete
  4. I might have to get that one next! Right now, I am reading Jemima J. by Jane Green.....good so far!

    Natalie
    Teachery Tidbits

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post. I love book suggestions. I'm on my way to the library.

    Barbara
    Grade ONEderful

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am not allowed to read any more Nicholas Sparks books since I was depressed for weeks after reading The Pact. I had to read like 5 happy books to make up for it. =)

    Emily @ Second Grade Silliness 

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing such awesome books! Can't wait to use them!

    Melanie
    First Grade Brain Sprinkles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you ladies for your comments and for sharing what you're reading! I still get excited over every comment:)

    Emily...I feel ya!

    Randi

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Orange Pear Bear. It's so fun and funny. It helps the kids see how important having clear writing is as well. I love the yarn idea. I do squiggles on paper in the same way but the yarn is so tangible and nice. Finally I have to say I don't love Nicholas Sparks, but I did really like that one.

    Kimberley
    First in Maine

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just awarded you with a TOP 10 BLOG AWARD!

    Come check out my blog to see the post: Hello Mrs Sykes
    Check out this link so you can grab your button.. Top Ten Award

    Congrats!

    Jen
    Hello Mrs Sykes

    ReplyDelete
  11. OMG! I just finished Safe Haven, I loved that character and I agree this was a different story line than his usual love themes. Right now I am reading Lisa Scottoline's Look Again. I am also reading The Wedding by Nicholas Sparks and I have a few Jodi Picoult books waiting to have their pages turned. :)

    ReplyDelete

 

Design by Custom Blog Designs